Computer Privacy Tips
Tips on maintaining privacy on your computer.
Erase Your Tracks
There are programs that can erase your browsing tracks (such as sites you have visited, search terms, and other personal items) though each browser has a way to erase some of its own tracks such as its cache.
CCleaner not only clears most browser privacy information it can clean recycle bins, temp files, log files, the clipboard, and many other traces of your habits. It has been around for several years...and it is free.
Internet Explorer 7
Click on Tools > Delete Browsing History...
- Temporary Internet Files - deletes files and images (used to display web pages) downloaded from the internet
- Cookies - deletes all cookies from your browser
- History - clears list of websites you have visited
- Form Data - saved information you have put into forms
- Passwords - passwords that were automatically saved
Close your browser after deleting so anything in its memory is removed, too.
Internet Explorer 6
Click on Tools > Internet Options
- Clear History - clears where you have been browsing
- Delete Files - deletes files and images (used to display web pages) downloaded from the internet
- Delete Cookies - deletes all cookies from your browser
Firefox 2 and 3
- Click on Tools > Clear private data
- Check/uncheck what you want deleted
- Click "clear private data now"
- Click on Tools > Delete private data
- Click on Details > check/uncheck what you want deleted